We owe a successful 2020 to our members and look forward to what 2021 brings. Learn more about what we accomplished last year.
It’s safe to say that 2020 was unexpected and unusual for us all.
Through lobby closings, postponed events, and discovering new ways to do banking, our members and A+FCU team had to adapt to changing circumstances – and we’re so thankful we could come together as a community to support one another.
Here’s what we accomplished in 2020.
$10 Million Cash-Back Checking Giveback
In June 2020, we marked over $10 million given back to members through our Cash-Back Checking program since the program began in 2007.
Members who have a free Cash-Back Checking Account and debit card earn 10¢ and 10 PlusPoints for signature-based purchases and 5¢ and 5 PlusPoints for PIN-based purchases.
School Spirit Debit Card Program
- Akins High School (Austin ISD) – $17,001.25
- Connally High School (Pflugerville ISD) – $14,786.20
- Hendrickson High School (Pflugerville ISD) – $14,734.75
- Hutto ISD – $77,796.25
- Lake Travis ISD – $16,735.80
- Round Rock High School (Round Rock ISD) – $17,401.50
- San Marcos High School (San Marcos CISD) – $37,421.00
Through our custom debit card program, we gave back over $195,000 to local schools and school districts in 2020. Since the start of this program in 2015, we’ve given nearly $650,000 in total to the participating schools and districts.
The House That Credit Unions Built
Through the new program The House That Credit Unions Built, A+FCU partnered with other local credit unions and Austin Habitat for Humanity to build a home for a community member in need.
In addition to a $10,000 donation, A+FCU staff volunteered throughout the year to help with construction of the house. To celebrate completing the home, the participating credit unions held a parade through the neighborhood on International Credit Union Day.
We continued our A+ Gives program and supported multiple organizations throughout the year. A few highlights include:
- Partnering with Austin Junior League to put together 1,000 bags of food for children to have during the weekends through their Food In Tummies (FIT) Program
- Donating over $11,000 to unpaid school lunch balances at 18 local schools
- Presenting a check for $2,050 to the Williamson County Children’s Advocacy Center from both A+FCU as an organization and employee donations
- Hosting a diaper drive for the Austin Diaper bank along with employee donations
- Sponsoring a puppy for a veteran through Hounds for Heroes
Visit our A+ Gives page to learn more about the program and see what we’re doing this year.
Throughout the pandemic, our Business Services team has continued helping local business members with their needs. The team worked hard to help our business members receive $10.1 million in funds from the Paycheck Protection Program to keep their workforce employed.
We were one of the first financial institutions in the area to close branch lobbies while expanding drive-thru services to meet member needs.
Our team quickly shifted our operations to continue to help members while ensuring the health and safety of both our members and our staff. We implemented an online request system for in-branch appointments, electronic signature capability for branch forms, and created and shared resources about remote banking services.
Additionally, we assisted members with loan modifications, payment extensions, waived fees, and special loans.
Virtual Summer Camps
Last summer, A+FCU partnered with Boy Scouts Capitol Area Council to donate $25,000 to support their virtual day camps.
Our Community Education team also pivoted our free, in-person summer camp program to be entirely virtual and helped over 500 kids.
Awards & Nominations
We’re fortunate to be the recipients of many prestigious awards and nominations in 2020, including:
- Customer Experience Award (Large Category) at the Greater Austin Business Awards
- First place in the Cornerstone Region for the Desjardins Youth and Adult Financial Education Award
- Large Business Category Winner at the Austin Gives Generous Business Awards
- Forbes’ Best-In-State Credit Unions for 2020
Click here for a full list of our accomplishments.
We’re beyond grateful for your support in 2020. We look forward to what 2021 holds for us as a credit union and for you, our members.
Let’s bank on each other®.