A+FCU 70th Anniversary
We’re celebrating 70 years with events and giveaways throughout 2019.
In May of 2019, A+FCU will celebrate 70 years of passion, community, education, commitment, and trust. Because of you, we have a presence in Central Texas and we want to thank you for that.
As we celebrate in 2019, we’ll keep you updated on our events and community outreach on our website and across social media with our hashtags #IAmAPlus and #APlus70YearsStrong.
We’re excited to share what we have planned to celebrate our communities and the members who have shaped us for the past 70 years.
Let’s bank on each other.
Kerry A. S. Parker
70 Years in the Making
Our purpose is to educate each and every member and give them the right guidance for their unique financial situation. By giving our members the knowledge, resources, and products to meet long-term goals as well as day-to-day needs, our credit union becomes stronger.
Here’s just a few of our milestones from the past 70 years.
- 1949 – A+FCU was founded as Austin Teachers Federal Credit Union in May of 1949 by 50 Austin Independent School District teachers during a meeting at Zilker Park.
- 1966 – In 1965, it was determined that more space was needed to serve the members. After almost a year of fighting zoning restrictions, a five-room house was remodeled. In April 1966, with two employees, the credit union moved into its first “credit union owned” building on Guadalupe.
- 1972 – On September 13, 1972, the board voted a charter amendment to include the employees of the Education Service Center, Region XIII, and employees of the public school systems in Del Valle, Manor, Eanes, Round Rock, Leander, Liberty Hill, and Florence Independent School District and to change the name of the credit union to Austin Area Teachers FCU.
- 1995 – In April, we opened our Main Office which included back office space and a full-service branch.
- 1998 – In October, A+FCU launched the Green Apple Program. Since then, we’ve partnered with elementary schools across the Central Texas area to offer our Green Apple Savings Program to kids. Through the program, students are able to make deposits to their accounts at their schools on Deposit Days.
- 2004 – In November, we changed our name to A+ Federal Credit Union.
- 2013 – A+FCU reaches $1 billion in assets.
- 2019 – Celebrating 70 years in Central Texas.
Giving back is what we do and for our 70th Anniversary we’re going bigger than ever.
We’re hosting A+ Gives, a series of 70 different days with scheduled acts of kindness throughout the year, to show appreciation for the communities we serve.
Monthly themes range from volunteering at nonprofit organizations to donating food to helping veterans.
- Gas Card Giveaway
Volunteers from A+FCU are participating in gift card giveaways all over Central Texas. The teams have visited Speedy Stop in Mueller, H-E-B Pflugerville on the corner of Wells Branch and 1825, and H-E-B Plus! in Leander.
- Central Texas Food Bank
The A+FCU executive team volunteered at the Central Texas Food Bank on February 6 to create 2,880 stew kits for those in need.
The food bank serves 21 counties in Texas and nearly 46,000 individuals every week.
- H-E-B® Gift Card Giveaway
The A+FCU Executive team gave out 30 $20 gift cards to shoppers at the Mueller H-E-B in Austin on February 8.
- Donation to Overdue Lunch Balances
We donated $14,153.88 to 20 different schools and organizations throughout Central Texas to pay school lunch balances. Fifteen of the schools’ overdue balances will be paid off completely. A+FCU employees also contributed over $1,800 to the overall donation balance.
Click here for a complete list of schools.
Stay tuned for what we have planned in May for our week-long celebration.
We’re celebrating our members with random drawings throughout 2019.
Three members will be randomly selected in weekly drawings to win a loan payment up to $500.
Members will be reimbursed for the payment with a deposit to their Membership Savings. Every loan with A+FCU is one entry and we’ll pick the highest loan payment amount to reimburse.
A+FCU Youth Members will be randomly selected in a weekly drawing to win $50 deposited to their Membership Savings.
Weekly Drawing Winners
|Week 5 (March 10 – March 16):||Edward P.
|Week 4 (March 3 – March 9):||Laura E.
|Week 3 (February 24-March 2):||Claudeen D.
|Week 2 (February 17-23):||Felicia R.
|Week 1 (February 10 – 16):||Brock C.
I Am A+
A+FCU is excited to introduce our new video series, I Am A+, in honor of our anniversary. We’ll be featuring employee interviews about what it means to them to be a part of our culture, details about what they do on a day-to-day basis, and why they love the organization.