A+FCU 70th Anniversary
We’re celebrating 70 years with events and giveaways throughout 2019.
In 2019, A+FCU celebrates 70 years of passion, community, education, commitment, and trust. Because of you, we have a presence in Central Texas and we want to thank you for that.
As we celebrate, we’ll keep you updated on our events and community outreach on our website and across social media with our hashtags #IAmAPlus and #APlus70YearsStrong.
We’re excited to share what we have planned to celebrate our communities and the members who have shaped us for the past 70 years.
Let’s bank on each other.
70 Years in the Making
Our purpose is to educate each and every member and give them the right guidance for their unique financial situation. By giving our members the knowledge, resources, and products to meet long-term goals as well as day-to-day needs, our credit union becomes stronger.
Here’s just a few of our milestones from the past 70 years.
- 1949 – A+FCU was founded as Austin Teachers Federal Credit Union in May of 1949 by 50 Austin Independent School District teachers during a meeting at Zilker Park.
- 1966 – In 1965, it was determined that more space was needed to serve the members. After almost a year of fighting zoning restrictions, a five-room house was remodeled. In April 1966, with two employees, the credit union moved into its first “credit union owned” building on Guadalupe.
- 1972 – On September 13, 1972, the board voted a charter amendment to include the employees of the Education Service Center, Region XIII, and employees of the public school systems in Del Valle, Manor, Eanes, Round Rock, Leander, Liberty Hill, and Florence Independent School District and to change the name of the credit union to Austin Area Teachers FCU.
- 1995 – In April, we opened our Main Office which included back office space and a full-service branch.
- 1998 – In October, A+FCU launched the Green Apple Program. Since then, we’ve partnered with elementary schools across the Central Texas area to offer our Green Apple Savings Program to kids. Through the program, students are able to make deposits to their accounts at their schools on Deposit Days.
- 2004 – In November, we changed our name to A+ Federal Credit Union.
- 2013 – A+FCU reaches $1 billion in assets.
- 2019 – Celebrating 70 years in Central Texas.
Giving back is what we do and for our 70th Anniversary we’re going bigger than ever.
We’re hosting A+ Gives, a series of 70 different days with scheduled acts of kindness throughout the year, to show appreciation for the communities we serve.
Monthly themes range from volunteering at nonprofit organizations to donating food to helping veterans.
August: Back to School
Throughout the month of August, we’re focusing on heading back to school and appreciating the staff, educators, and teachers throughout our communities.
On August 1, volunteers handed out $500 worth of free soda tickets and hand fans to people who attended the Back to School Night at the Round Rock Express game.
Want to attend another game? Join us for a Member Appreciation Game at RREX on August 24!
From August 5 – 16, we’re hosting a School Supply Drive to support the local schools we work with. A+FCU members can donate the following items to any branch location:
Akins HS, Connally HS, Hendrickson HS, San Marcos HS, and the Round Rock branch are all closed for the summer and will not be accepting donations.
We partnered with Caritas of Austin, a local nonprofit working toward preventing and ending homelessness in Greater Austin.
In the month of June, A+FCU members and employees donated items for a Hygiene Drive. We successfully delivered seven baskets worth of products and $240 in cash.
A+FCU employees also put together 20 Welcome Home Baskets with $5,000 worth of supplies, including H-E-B gift cards, pots and pans sets, comforters and bed sheets, toilet paper, and cleaning supplies.
Teacher Appreciation Week was May 6 – 10, so we gave back to the educators in our communities. We delivered pastries throughout Central Texas to over 35 schools. See all the photos from our visits on our Instagram.
April: Keep Central Texas Beautiful
April is all about celebrating the earth we live on! A team of employees handed out gift cards at The Great Outdoors Garden Center on April 13 to people buying plants and garden accessories.
- Gas Card Giveaway
Volunteers from A+FCU are participating in gift card giveaways all over Central Texas. The teams have visited Speedy Stop in Mueller, H-E-B Pflugerville on the corner of Wells Branch and 1825, and H-E-B Plus! in Leander.
- Central Texas Food Bank
The A+FCU executive team volunteered at the Central Texas Food Bank on February 6 to create 2,880 stew kits for those in need.
The food bank serves 21 counties in Texas and nearly 46,000 individuals every week.
- H-E-B® Gift Card Giveaway
The A+FCU Executive team gave out 30 $20 gift cards to shoppers at the Mueller H-E-B in Austin on February 8.
- Donation to Overdue Lunch Balances
We donated $14,153.88 to 20 different schools and organizations throughout Central Texas to pay school lunch balances. Fifteen of the schools’ overdue balances will be paid off completely. A+FCU employees also contributed over $1,800 to the overall donation balance.
Click here for a complete list of schools.
We’re celebrating our members with random drawings throughout 2019.
Three members will be randomly selected in weekly drawings to win a loan payment up to $500.
Members will be reimbursed for the payment with a deposit to their Membership Savings. Every loan with A+FCU is one entry and we’ll pick the highest loan payment amount to reimburse.
A+FCU Youth Members will be randomly selected in a weekly drawing to win $50 deposited to their Membership Savings.
|Week 27 (August 11 – August 17)||Tracy S.
|Week 26 (August 4 – August 10)||Walter S.
|Week 25 (July 28 – August 3)||Sylvia R.
|Week 24 (July 21- July 27)||Maud R.
|Week 23 (July 14 – July 20)||Justin B.
|Week 22 (July 7 – July 13)||Ronald F.
|Week 21 (June 30 – July 6)||Darren B.
|Week 20 (June 23 – June 29)||Matthew R.
|Week 19 (June 16 – June 22)||Phillip A.
|Week 18 (June 9 – June 15)||Arturo G.
|Week 17 (June 2 – June 8)||Jeffrey P.
|Week 16 (May 26 – June 1)||Robin B.
|Week 15 (May 19- May 25)||Adrianna S.
|Week 14 (May 12- May 18)||Mario P.
|Week 13 (May 5 – May 11)||Ramiro T.
|Week 12 (April 28 – May 4)||Diana H.
|Week 11 (April 21 – April 27):||Alan G.
|Week 10 (April 14 – April 20):||Tyler R.
|Week 9 (April 7 – April 13):||Alicia C.
|Week 8 (March 31 – April 6):||Thomas R.
|Week 7 (March 24 – March 30):||Mikita S.
|Week 6 (March 17 – March 23):||Hilary H.
|Week 5 (March 10 – March 16):||Edward P.
|Week 4 (March 3 – March 9):||Laura E.
|Week 3 (February 24-March 2):||Claudeen D.
|Week 2 (February 17-23):||Felicia R.
|Week 1 (February 10 – 16):||Brock C.
I Am A+
A+FCU is excited to introduce our new video series, I Am A+, in honor of our anniversary. We’ll be featuring employee interviews about what it means to them to be a part of our culture, details about what they do on a day-to-day basis, and why they love the organization.